Vacancy: Executive Director, Open Government Partnership (OGP) Support Unit06/07/2012
OGP is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with a deep commitment to open government to serve as Executive Director (ED) of the OGP Support Unit. The incumbent should have substantial experience in working with both governments and civil society organizations, and fostering effective collaboration between the two.
The Executive Director of the Support Unit is in daily communication with senior government officials and civil society leaders, and reports to the Governance and Leadership Sub-Committee of OGP’s Steering Committee. The ED manages the secretariat of the Open Government Partnership, with a staff of three to five people. The Executive Director is also responsible for managing a multi-million dollar budget, funded by governments and civil society organizations.
Given the high-level of visibility of the Open Government Partnership, the Support Unit’s Executive Director must be able to handle fast-moving, complex issues with the highest-degree of professionalism and poise.
- Oversee Support Unit staff, some of whom work remotely, and the fulfillment of diverse yet interrelated work plans for each employee.
- With guidance and oversight from OGP’s Steering Committee, direct program/policy development and implementation for the Open Government Partnership, such as:
- Set the agenda for annual meetings and interim efforts, such as regional and thematic meetings
- Liaise with the OGP Independent Reporting Mechanism and Independent Experts Panel
- Oversee the ongoing work of the OGP Networking Mechanism, which is managed by a grantee
- Manage country eligibility criteria, including politically sensitive conversations and decisions
- Direct OGP’s communications and branding
- Manage the Support Unit budget (around $2 million per annum) and all donor relations
- Provide strategic guidance and support to Steering Committee on evolving policy issues, including through facilitating the work of all OGP Steering Committee sub-committees (Governance and Leadership, Finance and Audit, Peer Learning and Exchange, and Criteria and Standards)
- Serve as liaison between government and civil society members of the Steering Committee, ensuring consistent communication and consensus building
- Support Steering Committee (especially co-chairs) in country and partner outreach, and conduct direct outreach with existing, new and aspiring OGP member countries to facilitate their engagement with the initiative
- Conduct outreach and develop strategic partnerships with external organizations and partners, in tandem with Steering Committee members
- Regularly report on OGP developments to the Steering Committee and wider public through the website and publicly disclosed documents.
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in international affairs or relevant field (e.g. political science, law, economics)
- A minimum of 7 years experience in the governance, accountability, anti-corruption, and/or transparency field[s];
- Substantial experience undertaking high-level advocacy and outreach with governments, the private sector, and civil society;
- Ability to work flexibly and independently on tight timelines with a wide range of team members around the world;
- At least one year of management experience, including personnel, strategic planning, fundraising, budget oversight, and board relations;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including relationship building, communication skills, and partnership development.
Strongly Desired Characteristics:
- Experience working with/for international multi-stakeholder governance initiatives;
- Proven ability to think strategically, innovate, learn fast and interact with a multitude of stakeholders;
- Proficiency in multiple languages;
- Excellent writing ability;
- A strong familiarity with international and local civil society networks working on governance issues.
Details and How to Apply
- Position is based in Washington, DC (OGP’s fiscal sponsor may be able to facilitate work visas as needed.)
- Preferred start date is September 2012
- Compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
- A cover letter, references, writing sample and resume/CV must be submitted online via email to email@example.com. In the subject line please put: OGP SU Executive Director
« Next news story
Vacancy: Program Manager, OGP Independent Reporting Mechanism