Vacancy: OBI Program Officer (Francophone Africa)19/12/2012
IBP Program Officer (Francophone Africa): Open Budget Initiative Program
The International Budget Partnership (IBP) is based at the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities in Washington, D.C. The IBP provides a range of services to help nonprofit organizations analyze and influence public budgets in developing and transition countries. The IBP is seeking a Program Officer (Francophone Africa) to provide support to the Open Budget Initiative (OBI) Program. The OBI is a research and advocacy program that seeks to increase public access to budget information and inclusive and accountable budget-making. The Program Officer will report to the IBP’s Director of International Advocacy and Open Budget Initiative, and the Supervisor of the IBP’s Open Budget Survey.
- Provide project management support for various research activities related to the biennial Open Budget Survey;
- Provide technical assistance to a network of research institutions in approximately 100 countries to collect and fact-check data on government budgets with a focus on Francophone Africa;
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative social science research and document innovative civil society tactics and strategies to promote budget transparency reforms, and produce case studies and impact assessments;
- Conduct country assessments and work with IBP partners to develop and implement advocacy strategies to promote budget transparency reforms with a focus on Francophone Africa;
- Provide technical assistance to partners and in-country peer reviewers, and design and deliver training modules and presentations on budget transparency and accountable and inclusive budget-making with a focus on Francophone Africa;
- Engage in project management activities such as negotiating and drafting contracts with civil society partners; drafting and proofreading project correspondence, contracts, and documents; and maintaining project files and a project deadline tracking system to generate progress reports.
Skills and requirements:
- Master’s degree in Public Policy or equivalent courses
- Fluency in French and working knowledge of English
- 2 years of professional experience conducting social science research
- 2 years of professional experience working on issues related to the Francophone African region
- Proficiency in statistical analysis using STATA or SPSS
Salary commensurate with experience, excellent benefits, including two health and dental insurance options, life and long term disability insurance, retirement, flexible spending accounts and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put IBP Program Officer (Francophone Africa) in the subject area.
PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS. The Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.