Vacancy: Open Government Partnership Support Unit Communications Manager10/04/2013
OGP is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with strong experience in communications and public affairs to serve as Communications Manager for the OGP Support Unit. The Support Unit is a small team dedicated to advancing the Steering Committee’s strategic vision for the Partnership and leading OGP’s day-to-day operations.
The Communications Manager will work closely with the Executive Director to implement an external communications strategy for the Open Government Partnership, including overseeing all digital platforms, publications, and media relations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage design, content and analytics for OGP’s website and blog.
- Manage OGP’s media outreach, including both traditional and social media
- Oversee public relations for OGP global and regional events.
- Develop promotional materials for OGP, including pamphlets, newsletters, annual report and short videos.
- Produce digital content – including country updates, event calendars, OGP case studies and examples, resource guides, etc.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Track media coverage of OGP and post relevant news articles and links to the website or blog.
- Provide other strategic communications advice and support as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in communications, journalism, or relevant field.
- A minimum of 5-7 years experience in developing and implementing external communications strategies for organizations (or businesses) that work internationally.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with governance issues and/or international relations highly desirable.
- Experience with website design and understanding of web analytics.
- Excellent writing skills: ability to translate abstract concepts into clear, concise and compelling prose.
- Experience and creativity in naming, branding and marketing initiatives.
- Strong track record of meeting deadlines.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment, as part of a virtual team.
- Self-directed, but proactive in sharing information with team members.
- Strong diplomatic skills and ability to work and communicate effectively in a multi-cultural setting.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking, strong presentation skills.
- Humility and a healthy sense of humor; calm and poised under pressure.
- Detail-oriented with ability to step back and see the big picture.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Position based in San Francisco, CA or Washington D.C. (existing legal status to work in the US preferred).
- Preferred start date is June 2013.
- Compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
- To apply please email an updated CV, cover letter and recent writing sample to email@example.com, with the subject line ‘OGP Communications Manager’
- Applications must be submitted online by April 30th, 2013 at 9:00pm EDT.
The Open Government Partnership, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression), identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Previous news story »
Assessing the strength of evidence: Introducing DFID’s new ‘how to’ note