Vacancy: ONE, Global Policy Director02/07/2013
ONE is a global campaign and advocacy organization backed by over three million people from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. ONE has offices in Washington DC, across Europe and in Africa.
The Global Policy Team provides strategic direction to the organization on the issues that will most improve the lives of people living in developing countries (primarily in Africa) in support of ONE’s core mission. The team is responsible for leading research and policy analysis on ONE’s key issues, staying abreast of the latest trends in the field, and ensuring that ONE’s other teams are equipped with the best arguments and supporting facts for the organization’s campaigns and advocacy. The global policy team ensures that specific markets (U.S., European countries, African countries, etc.) have their specific policy needs met while ensuring that all policy is compatible and/or coordinated across markets. Lastly, the global policy team is responsible for ensuring timely and accurate briefings for ONE’s principals, board and other spokespeople to maintain ONE’s reputation as a credible source of policy information.
The Global Policy Director will be responsible for driving a proactive policy agenda that supports ONE’s advocacy and hence must have experience navigating the links between policy and advocacy across North American, European and African markets. The Global Director must have a broad understanding of development as well as deep exposure to one or more of ONE’s core issues, including health, agriculture, transparency and accountability and aid effectiveness. The Director must also have a strong understanding of both the policy process in different donor markets and how development is facilitated at the country level. This executive level position will be responsible for leading and motivating a team of professionals based in different countries and must have proven track record of outstanding performance as a manager and leader.
The preferred location for this position is Washington DC; London will be considered.
The Global Policy Director will report to the Executive Director, Global Strategy but work closely with the Chief Executive Officer.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and manage a team of policy professionals in diverse markets to meet all organizational policy needs
- Interface with ONE senior management, ONE’s board and key stakeholders in order to effectively achieve policy related aspects of the organization’s strategic goals
- Participate in leadership team planning and implementation of strategic goals across the organization and lead policy team goal setting and monitor achievement of those goals
- Work closely with ONE’s government relations teams to ensure a highly effective and well-coordinated approach to direct advocacy that is consistent with our policy positions and overall objectives
- Work closely with the campaigns and communications teams to ensure complex policy issues are effectively translated into effective and strategically aligned campaign themes and messages
- Represent ONE within the policy community by attending meetings, conferences, engaging in public speaking, writing and work to build a network of policy advisors for the organization so that ONE engages outside perspectives into its policy thinking
- Provide internal leadership to ONE on policy issues; provide/drive thought leadership for ONE’s management team and staff and, in general, help create a learning environment for employees on development policy and related topics
- Act as a key adviser to the trips and events teams
- Oversee the development and creation of policy content and publications and provide policy input to organization wide content, website, and other publications
SPECIFIC TYPES OF KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Deep substantive knowledge of the issues; 10-15 years experience in policy
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to think and work cross teams
- Ability to turn policy objectives into actionable ideas for advocacy
- Excellent team player
- Exceptional team building skills
- Strong people management skills, including experience managing across markets
- Strong communication skills
- Strong, demonstrated writing ability
- Experience working in developing countries
- Sensitivity/understanding of political ramifications of development priorities
- Ability to work in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment
- Able to travel internationally
To apply: Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 5th July 2013, ensuring the job title is shown clearly in the subject line.
Please also ensure your cover letter clearly addresses the skills and competencies outlined in the job description, as well as your preferred location and confirmation of your existing right to work in this location.
« Next news story
Open Government Partnership Call for Researchers
Previous news story »
We’re hiring! TAI seeks an Impact & Learning Program Officer